Spamming with unique keyword

I just received this email in Gmail, which was marked as important by the system “because of the people in the conversation”:

I was debating with myself if I should make such search. I was kind of foreseeing a spam in result, but I wasn’t entirely sure where it would lead me and in what form of spam. Eventually, the curious cat inside me won, I made such search with that keyword. Here is a screenshot of Google Search:

As you can probably read five random text like words, they are most likely unique in search engine index, as the one was searched was proved indeed unique enough, that resulted only three entries across two blogs, which both have to be the spammer’s websites.

From dates, it’s a month ago, that means the spammer has been spamming with that keyword for a month, or at least wait long enough before starting spamming.

Well, this kind of spamming might have been around some time, but this is the very first time I saw it. Spam reported.

The raw email content, if you are interested:

Received: by with SMTP id y6csp609393igk;
        Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:05:03 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by with SMTP id c4mr1418833wie.44.1415909102500;
        Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:05:02 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <>
Received: from ( [])
        by with ESMTP id s7si698005wiw.8.2014.
        for <multiple recipients>;
        Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:05:02 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: none ( does not designate permitted sender hosts) client-ip=;
       spf=none ( does not designate permitted sender hosts)
Received: from cobope ( by ( (authenticated as pippo.peppo)
        id 54638137002CCA20; Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:04:59 +0100
Message-ID: <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:49:42 -0700
From: Pippo Peppo <>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv: Gecko/20100411 Thunderbird/
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=(ISO-8859-1); format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Dollar Sign works around $: command not found

Long story short, dollar-sign is a script and it enables you (being super lazy) to run command like:

% $ echo "Hello world"
# Hello world

% $ $ $ $ $ $ echo "Hello world"
# Hello world

Rather than getting:

% $ echo "Hello world"
bash: $: command not found
t i
s $
  n d
n o t

It reminds me of a trick like this:

$ alias %=
$ % % echo Hello World
Hello World

This shell alias does a similar thing, but for % (percentage sign). In Bash, $ (dollar sign) can’t be aliased. So this dollar-sign script fills in the gap, which is literally a one-liner:

exec "$@"

I can’t recall when and where I read this trick, but at the time I read it, I wondered why I hadn’t thought about that, and went on doing some research about the prompt sign for example code, commonly one of $, #, and %. After that, I tried to use % whenever I remember.

A script can work around for both $ and %, alias can do %, but neither for #. Personally, I do believe % is the best option if you want to choose a prompt sign for example code, however, # seems to be safest. In the end, I just dropped everything I’ve learned, the script and alias, I didn’t think it’s a good idea to have them, still don’t.

Of course, I must remind anyone who is lazy, copy-and-pasting is not a good habit. However, who am I kidding? We all do that all the time. Yes, now we have dollar-sign, but try not to use it.

dollar-sign is written in POSIX shell script by Christian Bundy under “Free Public License,” it was born in late October, 2014.

Albert, omni program launcher with Qt5

First of all, I didn’t run Albert for real since Gentoo still hasn’t had dev-qt/qtcore:5 stabilized, 4.8.5 is the currently stable version. Well, even it had, I wouldn’t jumped onto Qt5 yet.

Version 0.6 GIF by the author

Once again, I saw this good looking fellow on Arch Linux forums, the author’s post claimed the following features:

  • Run applications
  • Open files
  • Open bookmarks in chromium
  • Calculate math expressions
  • Search web for things
  • Fuzzy search
  • Modify the actions taken by pressing the modifier keys
  • Customize look and feel with different styles (or by writing your own qstylesheets)

Among these, the calculation is the only one that really amaze me, even though I normally wouldn’t take a second look at a program launcher like this, well, rich. Too many stuff that I don’t need. For all what I am looking for a program launcher is, simply, running the program I ask. That’s why I am still using old bashrun 0.16.1 four years later, even after I switched to dwm, I keep it.

Nevertheless, if you have Qt5 and you happen to need a launcher, Albert might work for you. It’s written in C++ by Manuel Schneider under GPL (according to the PKGBUILD), currently version 0.6.

karuibar, lightweight status bar

karuibar is a:

lightweight, modular status bar for displaying various information about the system at the top of each screen.

The screenshot above — here is a video if you prefer to watch — is taken with the status bar configured with the following X resources:

karuibar.modules: memory, cpu, battery, alsa, time
karuibar.font: lucidasanstypewriter-bold-12

I like this status bar because it’s close to my own dzen-status bar. Colors and icons. It’s designed modular, flexible to configure using X resources. Currently it has six modules at this moment:

  • alsa
  • battery
  • cpu
  • memory
  • time
  • wm

The wm module isn’t compiled, so I wouldn’t know what exactly it looks like. And the battery module doesn’t work, but you can see how it handle errors, or at least, how it looks when error occurs.

karuibar is written in C by Tinu Weber under GPLv3.